Louis Kotzé is Research Professor of Law at the Faculty of Law, North-West University, South Africa, and Senior Professorial Fellow in Earth System Law at the University of Lincoln, United Kingdom.
His research focuses on global environmental law, with a specific emphasis on its intersecting formal (governance) and substantive aspects at national, regional, international and transnational levels. His research broadly encompasses three interrelated themes that he approaches from a transnational perspective: human rights, socio-ecological justice and environmental constitutionalism; law and the Anthropocene; and Earth system law.
He has over 140 publications on these themes (see https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=_awP9R0AAAAJ&hl=en). Recent books include: Research Handbook on Human Rights and the Environment (with Anna Grear-Edward Elgar, 2015); Global Environmental Constitutionalism in the Anthropocene (Hart, 2016); Environmental Law and Governance for the Anthropocene (Hart, 2017); Sustainable Development Goals: Law, Theory and Implementation (with Duncan French-Edward Elgar, 2018).
In 2016 he obtained a second PhD at Tilburg University, Netherlands, and has been awarded a European Commission Horizon 2020 Marie Curie Fellowship to lead a research project during 2018-2019 at the University of Lincoln titled: Global Ecological Custodianship-Innovative International Environmental Law for the Anthropocene (GLEC-LAW). He is currently assistant editor of Earth System Governance (Elsevier).
Duncan French is a leading academic on international environmental law and the international legal implications of sustainable development. He has written extensively in these areas, as well as writing generally on both broader questions of public international law (eg. treaty interpretation), international economic and investment law, and international dispute settlement. He has secondary research interests in international law of the sea and Antarctica. As a key figure in the global debate on sustainable development, he has been co-rapporteur of the International Law Association Committee on the International Law on Sustainable Development for ten years (2002-2012). He was also Chairman of the ILA Study Group on International Law and Due Diligence (2012-2016).
- French, Duncan and Scott, Karen (2018) International environmental law. In: Conceptual and contextual approaches on the modern law of treaties. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781107100527
- French, Duncan and Cooper, Nathan John (2018) SDG 17: partnerships for the goals: cooperation within the context of a voluntarist framework. In: Sustainable development goals: law, theory and implementation. Edward Elgar, pp. 271-303. ISBN UNSPECIFIED
- French, Duncan (2018) Trail Smelter (United States of America / Canada) (1938 and 1941). In: Landmark Cases in Public International Law. Landmark Cases . Hart, pp. 159-188. ISBN 9781849467889
- French, Duncan (2017) The global goals: formalism foregone, contested legality and “re-imaginings” of international law. In: Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law 2016. Ethiopian Yearbook of International Law, 2016 . Springer, pp. 151-178. ISBN 9783319558974, 9783319558981
- French, Duncan and Kotze, Louis (2018) Sustainable development goals: law, theory and implementation. Edward Elgar, pp. 271-303. ISBN 1786438755
- Farrall, Stephen, Ahmed, Tawhida and French, Duncan (2012) Criminological and legal consequences of climate change. Hart, Oxford. ISBN 9781849461863
- French, Duncan (2010) Global justice and sustainable development. Martinus Nijhoff, Leiden. ISBN 9789004182660
- French, Duncan and Collins, Richard (2019) A Guardian of Universal Interest or Increasingly Out of its Depth? The International Seabed Authority turns 25. International Organizations Law Review . pp. 1-31. ISSN 1572-3739
- French, Duncan and Kotze, Louis (2019) ‘Towards a global pact for the environment’: international environmental law’s factual, technical and (unmentionable) normative gaps. Review of European, Comparative and International Environmental Law . ISSN 2050-0394
- French, Duncan and Kotze, Louis (2018) A critique of the Global Pact for the Environment: A stillborn initiative or the foundation for Lex Anthropocenae? International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, 18 (6). pp. 811-838. ISSN 1567-9764
- French, Duncan and Kotze, Louis (2018) The anthropocentric ontology of international environmental law and the sustainable development goals: towards an ecocentric rule of law in the anthropocene. Global Journal of Comparative Law, 7 (1). pp. 5-36. ISSN 2211-9051
- French, Duncan and Pontin, Ben (2013) The IPPC 5th assessment report September 2013: review and comment. Environmental Law and Management, 25 (4). pp. 115-120. ISSN 1067-6058